Across from Hob Hill Wood, on the opposite side of the Skelton Beck valley, are Mount Shandy and Sterne’s Seat. They commemorate the frequent visits of Lawrence Sterne to Skelton Castle, home of his friend John Hall-Stevenson and his company of demoniacs.
The viaduct was built to carry the railway to the ironstone mines of East Cleveland, it opened in 1872. Currently, the only traffic on the bridge are the trains to and from Boulby potash mine.
Heritage becomes history, a series of steel plaques mark a forgotten heritage trail created in the 1980’s.
In 1855 there was a typhoid outbreak at Marske Mill caused by sewage leaking into the Skelton Beck.