The Middlesbrough & Redcar Railway Company was incorporated in July 1845 to construct a line from Middlesbrough to Saltburn. The line was leased by the Stockton and Darlington Railway which in turn was absorbed into the North Eastern Railway in 1863. The North Eastern Railway Company also had a line from Darlington to Tebay in Westmoreland.
From – The Journey in Brief, London to Carlisle. Published by the London Midland & Scottish Railway.