The (Middlesbrough) Corporationreceived the Royal Assent on the 7th July 1856 to an Improvement Act which gave power to divide the town into wards, to light the district, enlarge the market and to let off the market tolls, to appoint an Inspector of Weights and Measures, to establish a public wharf and ferry, to adopt bye-laws for the layout of streets, and to divert a sailors’ trod between Middlesbrough and Cargo Fleet, and gave power to purchase the gas works.
It was in 1855 that the Middlesbrough Owners tried to stop the path to Cargo Fleet, and on 10th April 1855 the Corporation demanded the removal of the obstructions. In February 1856 the Owners agreed to pay all costs for its diversion. It was not until 9th April 1861 that the riverside sailors’ trod, which ran through a brickyard on the Pennyman Marshes, was diverted along a route parallel with the railway. This path became known as the Black Path.
The History Of Middlesbrough.