The township of Billingham, which is the most westerly in the parish, is separated from Norton and Stockton parishes by the Billingham Beck flowing through low-lying meadows. In 1314 the Bishop of Durham granted a special indulgence to those who contributed to the building and repair of the bridge and causeway between Billingham and Norton.
From: ‘Parishes: Billingham’, A History of the County of Durham: Volume 3 (1928), pp. 195-203. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42620Advertisements